A bit about us...
Sawday’s and Canopy & Stars are award-winning travel brands on an exciting journey. Our mission is to make Europe a richer place to explore, by seeking out and celebrating special places to stay (and eat) and the fiercely independent, quirky and downright lovely people who run them. We aim to nourish independent spirit and to celebrate beauty in every sense.
We are a majority employee-owned business, also part-owned by a charitable trust, and we’re a group of people with a shared passion for creating a truly special business: one based on respect and trust.
We are just commencing a complete technology transformation program which involves migrating (or re-writing) our existing systems, applications and services onto a brand-new API and AWS microservice architecture. We’re building a robust, scaleable and secure platform to enable rapid development of exciting new future initiatives.
We’re looking for someone who will become a key part of our technology team, with responsibility for developing all aspects of our new technology platform. This will include creating new services and components within a microservices architecture as well as enhancing and maintaining existing services, systems and integrations. You’ll be part of a small but dynamic new development team, set up to enable the company to gain competitive advantage through the appropriate implementation of technology.
Chief Technology Officer
- Solutions Architect
- Product Owners
- Project Managers
- Internal Technical Team
Skills and experience
- Passion, drive, enthusiasm and willingness to learn, roll sleeves up and get stuck in!
- Commercial experience developing within the LAMP stack (NGINX, PHP/MySQL)
- Commercial experience within the MEAN stack.
- Solid experience with CMS systems. (WordPress, eZ Publish, Headless CMS an advantage)
- MVC frameworks (e.g. Symfony), Twig / Smarty-style templating
- Strong knowledge of MVVM frameworks (React, Angular)
- Lucene-based search using Apache Solr, Elasticsearch
- Comprehensive familiarity with Node.js (some experience of Python or Java could be a plus)
- Working with microservice architectures and REST APIs, including 3rd party integrations
- Solid AWS understanding (containers, load balancers, Lambda functions – a broad range)
- CDN (e.g. CloudFront) and some media/asset management
- Use of Docker and a good understanding of DevOps using AWS
- TDD, BDD, automated testing, Git and CI/CD
- Principled development with privacy and security-by-design
- Experience of working in an agile team (e.g. Scrum, Jira, Slack)
- Collaborative, used to pair-programming, peer review and Scrum-like teamwork
- Any experience in the travel industry would be advantageous
- Some previous experience of Salesforce development would be a benefit
- Good sense of humour and should have meticulous attention to detail. :)
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Technical involvement in the full development life-cycle of systems and services
- Clean, efficient, best-practice, self-documenting development of different microservices, web sites/applications and APIs.
- Liaising with Solutions Architect and contributing to best-practice solutions for new features.
Assisting the Scrum team by constant and clear collaboration, participating in all Scrum ceremonies, working with tester to ensure high-value product delivery.
- Contribute to the backlog user stories and acceptance criteria.
- Pair-programming and peer review.
- Optimising existing applications (incl. data layer) to deliver improved performance, scalability, resilience and to optimise operating cost.
- Monitoring, logging, triaging and attending to errors, bugs and general issues within the technology stack.
Knowledge and qualifications
- At least 5 years of commercial experience in programming of customer-facing technologies and systems
- Ideally Bachelor’s degree in software engineering / computer science field.
- Ideally Scrum certified.
Salary and Benefits
- Full time, permanent position
- Salary dependent on skills and experience
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays
- Health cash plan
- Pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Discounted parking
- £190 per year towards staying in one of our special places
- 20% discount off UK spaces with C&S, 15% off everywhere else with C&S
- Discounts at local independent vendors including public transportation, yoga classes, cafes, and massage
- Summer & Christmas company parties along with various other events throughout the year
- Wellbeing team and events
- A special place to work: a colourful, upcycled, recycled, open plan office on Bristol's buzzing harbourside
- An employee owned company
- An office choir to join (not compulsory)
- A concert grand piano to play (if you like)
Our Behaviours and Values
How we work is just as important as the success we achieve at Sawday’s. During your time with us, you will be expected to treasure, protect, and embody our behaviours and values every day.
We celebrate quirkiness and difference
- We dance to the beat of our own drum
- We encourage curiosity and creativity
- We champion individuality and the ‘special’
We follow head and heart
- We are solidly commercial while flexible and ‘human'
- We are empathetic, generous and supportive
- We make ethical, holistic, long-term decisions
We do important things brilliantly
- We use business as a force for social, environmental and economic good
- We are committed to our craft and deliver with ambition and purpose
- We relish our role in sustaining a happy, healthy world
We bring positive energy
- We foster a genuine spirit of togetherness and family
- We take pleasure in empowering and delighting others
- We are driven to learn, grow, connect and contribute
We place an unusual emphasis on ethics, people and the environment and it is important to us that you understand, strongly identify with, and can develop the company ethos.